A Traditional Thanksgiving for a Non-Traditional Year

Kadence Sadler, Reporter

The year 2020 has definitely kept us all on our toes, from the chaotic presidential debates to the Corona Virus news reports. Who would’ve ever thought we would be living through a global pandemic?  Every day is always something different, but that’s not stopping the PHS students from celebrating Thanksgiving. Of course there is always the traditional Thanksgiving food on the table, right? But how else are the PHS students celebrating?

We all know Thanksgiving is a holiday we celebrate to give thanks to the people and things we love and cherish the most. Freshman Lillian Greenlee said, “I am most thankful for my relationship with my friends and being able to spend time with them.” Greenlee spends Thanksgiving with her family at her aunt’s house and eats Thanksgiving dinner at her grandma’s house. Greenlee and her family stick with the traditional Thanksgiving dinner of ham, turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, casserole, stuffing, rolls, and many desserts.

There are many popular traditions celebrated on Thanksgiving. Of course, there’s always the Thanksgiving dinners with the golden brown turkey in the middle of the table, and a family surrounding it, or maybe even a family gathering with brunch and football. Freshman Pheabie Wilson and her family, however, have a bit of a different tradition. Wilson said, “Every year we usually take family pictures on Thanksgiving.” Everyone’s favorite food is different, but when it comes to desserts there are so many to choose from. There is cheesecake and pumpkin pie, cookies and banana pudding. But Wilson easily has her mind set on pumpkin pie.

Sophomore Bella Difiori and her brother also have a unique tradition that they take part in every year. Difiori said, “Some of our family traditions include breaking the wishbone.” Difiori and her brother each break the wishbone at the same time, and whoever breaks the biggest piece of the wishbone makes a wish. Difiori and her family also stay up late and go Black Friday shopping together.

For a lot of people Thanksgiving is an automatic favorite holiday because of the food, right? Who doesn’t like food? Well, Difiori has that same thought, but a little more to add to it. Difiori said, “Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays because it is one of the few times a year my whole family can come together. It is also very nice to be able to reflect on our blessings and of course the food is amazing.” 

Greenlee also is a huge fan of Thanksgiving. Greenlee said, “Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because I get to be with the ones I love the most.”

Even though 2020 has thrown us some huge curve balls, don’t forget to give your loved ones a hug. Make sure and give thanks to the ones you cherish the most, and remember to always be thankful.