What Is The Difference Between High School And College Sports?

PHS graduate Dylan Coleman in his San Diego Padres jersey before he was traded to the Kansas City Royals.

Landon Bone, Reporter

As I am about to start my fourth year of high school sports, I am realizing what it takes to play at the college level. High school sports are a lot different from college sports. I am realizing that there is a big jump in talent from varsity to college. High school sports and practices are mainly one part of the year. College sports on the other hand, can be all year round, from practices to weight training. Athletes are putting in more time towards the sport. 

Former student at Potosi High School, Dylan Coleman, who played college baseball at Missouri State University said, “You practice three to four hours a day including your lifts. It becomes more of a job than a hobby.” Dylan now plays in the MLB for the Kansas City Royals. When athletes go to play a sport at a college, they have to put more time and effort into the sport than they ever have, all while taking classes.

Former student at Potosi High School, Austin Wilson, who is currently playing football at Missouri Baptist University said, “In college, your last name means nothing. Practices are a lot harder and a lot more intense. The level of talent and play drastically increases. You have to show up every day to work hard or you get replaced. College practices are way more intense. The athletes are bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled. You hardly have any free time in your life because it is all surrounded by sports.”

College sports are more than just the game. If you are planning on playing a sport in college, most of your time will be spent doing workouts and practices, not in the classroom. You will have to put in extra time and work to get better, on and off the field. College sports are something that you have to put 100 percent of your effort into or you won’t succeed. Athletes in high school may have worked really hard, but they must work even harder in college.