Things I Wish I Would Have Known Before Starting High School

Pictured in the middle, author Ryker Walton, making memories with the senior basketball boys.

Ryker Walton, Reporter

As I am approaching the half year mark of my senior year, I am being bombarded with different feelings and emotions.  As for the underclassmen, or the students looking forward to high school and experiencing it, I will say that the four years of high school absolutely flies by. It is gone in the blink of an eye. There are things I wish someone would have told me before I started high school.

Have fun in high school and cherish the moments and memories

For many of us, your senior year may be your last year in your hometown. Perhaps it will be the last year you will spend with the people in your class because after graduation you will probably never see over half of those people ever again. After graduation, many people veer off in different ways whether it be they choose to go to college, start working right after highschool, or even take some years off and take time to figure out what they want to do. That being said, in high school you do not nearly have as many responsibilities as you will in the real world. You need to hangout with your friends and make memories as much as you can, highschool memories will last a lifetime. Take pictures with your friends during the 4 years, it will help out with the memories. Also have fun with your friends and go out and do things. Be kids while you still can!

Put forth some effort in your grades and academics

High school isn’t just all about having fun and hanging out with your friends all the time, there are times where you need to focus on school and at least try making decent grades. Your high school grades will follow you for the rest of your life and you will not be able to do anything about it when you are gone. Colleges look at your grades before they accept you and if you are planning on going to college, making good grades can help you pay for it or even get you more easily seen by sports.

Put work in and understand your sports and the importance of it

A huge part of highschool sports I wish I would have known is that if you are serious about playing sports in college, you need to understand the importance of putting in effort and work straight out of highschool and coming into college. That is a decision that you will have to make as an athlete and after going through 3 years, now being my senior year, I feel like I missed out on so much time when I was younger to get better at my sport. If I could go back I would have started going to the gym everyday instead of just now starting at the end of my junior year. The extra stuff will separate you from everyone else in the end. It is something that I wish I would have known or realized a lot sooner.

Take advantage of your high school life and be thankful

With everything going on this year and all of the uncertainty on what events or activities that we will be able to do, I want to soak up as much as I can from my senior year and make the best of it. It makes me upset and aggravated that my senior year is the way it is due to covid with many students getting sent home and no assemblies and all the things that go along with covid guidelines. I want to tell the underclassmen to make the most of it and appreciate the opportunities they get because as you can see, your sports seasons can get taken away. You never know what is guaranteed or not nowadays with covid going around the world.

The biggest takeaway that I wish I would have known before starting high school is to value all the experiences of highschool, the good and the bad. Highschool is a time in life where you will make so many memories that will last a lifetime and you will make forever friends. Those four years may seem like a long time, but ask anyone and they will tell you that it all goes by so fast. You don’t even realize it till you’re a senior and you get that woah feeling come across your body when it finally clicks.