5 Things That You Can Learn From Having a Job

My Cadet Teaching timesheet.

Sophia Jarvis, Reporter

Having a job doesn’t always sound that appealing to high school students. However, when you do decide to get a job it can help you learn skills that you can carry with you all through life. Here are some things that I have learned from being a cook at Potosi Manor that I think are very valuable: 

1. Time Management: Having a job can help you manage your time. You need to be able to be at work on time, as well as get all of your work done in the allotted time. For example, when I have to get a meal done at work in a certain amount of time I need pre-plan what goes into the oven so it has time to cook fully and is ready for dinner by 5:30. If dinner is late then no one will be happy 
  2. Teamwork: Wherever you work, whether it’s a fast food restaurant or a construction site, you are going to have to work with people. Working with others is a life skill that can improve your communication skills and make for an easier time to get jobs done. I work with an aide in the kitchen and we work together to make sure that all of the dishes are done, the floors are swept and mopped, and that the kitchen is clean for the cook who works the next morning. 
  3. Organization: You always need to be organized; no one wants a messy workspace. Having a job can help teach you the importance of staying organized. I have become much more diligent and it makes tasks so much easier. Being organized not only helps you at work, but it can also help you at school. I need to make sure that I stay organized to make sure that I turn in all of my work from all of my classes on time. 
  4. Problem Solving and Flexibility: In a work space you may run into problems that require you to come up with solutions. Sometimes I go to cook something at work and realise that I don’t have the right ingredients, and I have to be prepared to cook another side dish if this happens.
  5. Responsibility: I’m sure you always hear that having a job can help you become more responsible, and it’s true. You have to be responsible in order to be able to keep a job. You have to make sure that you show up on time and do everything that you are supposed to do. A way that I am responsible is going to cadet teaching everyday and doing exactly what I am supposed to do like getting there on time and leaving on time and not leaving early.

All of these things that I have learned from my job I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I will always be grateful for the things that I have learned and I hope that this can persuade you to want to get a job and learn some of your own Important life skills.