What I have learned from football

Raymond Henson, Reporter

I have learned a lot of significant things from football. To begin I haven’t been playing football for long so my lessons are not as in-depth as my brothers but they are lessons nevertheless. You may be wondering who I am referring to when I say my brothers. When I say my brothers I am referring to everyone that is on the team because we are one big family,

The Brotherhood 

The brotherhood is a powerful thing that can turn a football team into a powerful, unstoppable force. But at the same time when the brotherhood is not there it can shatter a team like glass and leave them broken and scattered. Brotherhood is not something that just happens, it is obtained by hard work and trust that everyone on the field and off is going to do their part and do it the best they can. 

Trust 

Trust is a crucial part of a football team because if it is not there then we are just a bunch of individuals instead of a team. When I say trust I mean that the rest of the offense has to trust that the linemen will hold their blocks so that the running back can take the handoff or pass block while the quarterback looks for an open receiver. And this is just a little part of the trust that goes into the team. Not only do you have to trust every athlete on the team, players have to trust in the coaches and what they have coached.  In football, there is no better feeling than lining up against an opponent from another school and just man handling them if you’re a lineman, running the ball all over them if you’re a running back, or slinging the rock if you’re a QB. This brings me to the next lesson, humility and glory. 

Humility and Glory 

Most athletes are looking to meet their goals only, not caring about the team’s goals. I am grateful to play for a team that has such a strong brotherhood and works for the team’s goals. Humility comes in many ways. The most common thing that happens is when a really good team plays an average team and comes out cocky and they get shut out. Or another example is the same situation as before but this time the team comes out and runs up the score board then gets cocky and the average team comes back. When glory kicks in glory is a great but dangerous thing to a football team. It is both because if celebrated correctly it can bring a team closer together and celebrated incorrectly or individually can slowly break a team. Now we will talk about the work that goes into being a highschool football player.  

One thing that you have to be able to do to be a football player or a high school athlete in general is hard work. You have to be willing to put in the work by going to all the camps and conditioning days and practices over the summer and throughout the season. Athletes must be able to deal with the heat and the bruises and muscle soreness that comes with being a football player. You also must be able to be willing to train to get what your coaches are teaching you down so that you can master it. The hardest thing for athletes to do is be coachable. That means admitting when you messed up, listen to what your coach has to say, then go do your assignment correctly. This is one of the hardest things for high school athletes because not everyone can swallow their pride and be coachable.   Coach portell told one of his favorite quotes and that quote is from Vince Lombardi and his quote is. “ Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” This quote is possibly one of my favorite quotes because it is true and not only for football but for anything.  As I said before I have not played football for long, but these are the greatest lessons I have learned from my coaches and brothers over the summer and this far in the season.  

(from left to right) This picture show me, Booba Henson, Gage Mosier, Luke Brabham, Ean Eaton and Dakota Spurlock at a bonfire enjoying each other’s company.