Mrs. Katrina Crocker’s Influence

Kaitlin Lester, Reporter

Today, speaking more than one language is becoming more and more common. One in five people in the United States speak a language other than English at home. Spanish is the most common non-English language spoken at 62%, 12 times greater than other spoken languages. Despite the surplus of non-English speakers there is a shortage of people who teach foreign languages. Here at Potosi High School, we have Mrs. Katrina Crocker to teach all foreign languages offered. 

In the foreign language classes taught here, the learning is primarily through Rosetta Stone. Despite this, Mrs. Crocker is working her way to be able to speak in both French and Spanish. As we go through our lessons, Mrs. Crocker will make notes for students based on where they are at on the program. The learning on Rosetta Stone is able to be done at any student’s pace, but Mrs. Crocker is there to guide and set expectations so no student is behind. To make sure students are understanding the things they are learning, Mrs. Crocker does fun activities based on what language they are learning. 

Mrs. Crocker has been teaching at PHS for 10 years. She did not start here as a foreign language teacher. Originally Mrs. Crocker worked as a special education resource teacher. Throughout her career she has worked in all grade levels, but has spent the majority in high school. She did not seek out the job as a foreign teacher, but when the opportunity arose she took it. “I heard that the job would be opening up. Since I had never been a regular classroom teacher before I thought that I should step out of my comfort zone and try something new,” Mrs. Crocker said. She has been working as our only foreign language teacher for three years now. Compared to working in special education she is enjoying working in a regular classroom setting much more. She has said what she enjoys most is getting to connect with more students. That’s what I’ve noticed most about Mrs. Crocker — the way she connects with her students. 

The first year I had Mrs. Crocker, I didn’t interact one on one with her much. It was my freshman year and I didn’t know anyone in my class. It was a big class full of mostly upperclassmen. This scared me, so I sat in the corner and did my work quietly. Mrs. Crocker saw this and would go out of her way to be welcoming. I still didn’t really come out of my shell, but I would sit and observe. What I would see and hear is the way Mrs. Crocker is there for her students. I saw how she would listen to her students’ problems outside of school and try to help them figure out what to do. How she is always there to listen and be understanding for her students. Anytime a student seemed different than their normal selves, she would check on them and ask if they needed to talk. If a student was struggling with their work, she would find a way to get them the help needed.  Mrs. Crocker showed her students that she was there for them and would do her best to help them.

This year I stopped seeing the way she went beyond the classroom for her students and experienced it myself. My class was smaller and I had already been a student of hers before. I sat by Mrs. Crocker’s desk on the first day of school and have since. Sitting by Mrs. Crocker everyday has helped me to open up and with opening up I get to know the person she is–not just the teacher. Mrs. Crocker is many things: a firefighter, a mom, and a teacher are just a few things to name. To me, the thing that defines her is her compassion. Mrs. Crocker really listens to what other people have to say and how they feel. She is always willing to be the shoulder for someone to cry on. On multiple occasions I have seen Mrs. Crocker give up her own food for students who are hungry. She’s just that type of person, the one who makes sure people are taken care of.

“There are times when students don’t have anyone and I want to be there for them. I want my students to know they can depend on me, ” Mrs. Crocker said.