Girls basketball goes to the District Championship!

Jade williams, Reporter

The Potosi Lady Trojans played the Fredericktown Blackcats in the semi-final round of the District Tournament on Tuesday, March 1 for the chance to play the Central Rebels in the final round. The girls came out nervous but since they had played Fredericktown 3 different times and won 2 of those games they had hoped for another win. 

At the beginning of the game, the game was close and the girls were being pushed more and more. The pressure of Fredericktown’s 6 ft post was causing some trouble for the shorter post players. By the end of the first quarter, the score was 8-6 Potosi. Three minutes into the 2nd quarter the Blackcats had come back with a leading 11-8. Potosi knew they needed to score, but shots were not falling as they were expected to, but then junior Kya Gibson sunk a deep three, tying the game at 11-11 by the half. 

During halftime, Coach Golden said,  “ You’re doing good, just make sure we are staying under control and don’t worry, shots will fall for us.” 

The girls went into the last half confident and ready to show the Blackcats what they had. The girls went in and shots immediately started falling and the bench was cheering and yelling for their teammates. A timeout was called by the opposing team’s coach. This was the time crunch and they knew what they were doing and the new press (play) was working out for them. 

As it came down to the 4th quarter the score was 23-19. The Trojans had a 4 point lead and they needed it to stay that way. As Annie Mccaul fouled out Coach Golden called a timeout. Someone fresh had to take the post position so Golden called on sophomore Nora Henry. Right at the beginning of her entry, she began rebounding and hustling the Fredericktown post. There were 2 minutes left of the game and the score was 28-27 and Fredericktown was winning.

Senior Kiersten Blair was fouled and was up shooting 2. She was 1-1 and had the game tied 29-27. The ball was out of bounds on the sidelines and by then there were 4 seconds left. All Potosi had to do was hold for just those 4 seconds. The ball was thrown in and by then the buzzer went off. The Potosi team was going to the district championship. The girls lost to Central on Thursday, March 3 falling just short of winning the district title.