Speech and Debate State Finalists

Lani Elder, Reporter

The Potosi High School Speech and Debate team competed in the District tournament on Saturday, March 4th at Eldon High School. Isabella DiFiori and Emma Simmons will be going to the State tournament.  Junior Isabella DiFiori earned the title of District Champion in Radio Speaking. She also placed fourth place in US Extemporaneous Speaking. Emma Simmons placed second place in Poetry and fifth place in Prose. Abigail Wilkins placed seventh place in Oratory. Noelle Porter placed fourth place in Humorous Interpretation. Emma Simmons placed second place in Poetry Reading. Sophie Drennen competed in two events(Storytelling and Duet Acting.) Clara Wands competed in Duet Acting, and Emma Thurman was the timekeeper.

Junior Isabella DiFiori earned the title of District Champion in Radio Speaking. She also placed fourth place in US Extemporaneous Speaking. Isabella said, “I am so overwhelmed and excited to be able to go to state. This is my first year doing speech and debate and it’s crazy that i’ve been able to get this far. I have the most supportive teammates and coach so that has been very helpful. I am nervous but excited to experience state.”  

Senior Emma Simmons said, “The Speech and Debate Tournament was one of the longest and most rewarding days. Respect and support you get from everyone there is incredible. When I was standing on stage and it was just me and the first place winner for Poetry, we both shook hands and told each other how much we each deserved it.” 

Simmons continued, “I’m so excited to go to the States and see all of the people I have gotten to know, and the new people I will meet.” Many of the competitors placed in the District tournament. 

The State tournament will be held at Missouri State University on April 21st-23rd.