The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Mineral Area College Offers Trade Programs

Mineral Area College trade courses for students who don’t plan on college

Many PHS students plan to go to work instead of going to college after high school graduation. However, what many students do not know is that community colleges such as MAC not only offer degree programs, but also offer certificate programs that focus on preparing students for work in the trades.

Degree programs are titles students receive after completing several years of education in a certain subject: Associate degree, Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, Doctoral degree. 

Certificate programs are documents stating you have completed a certain amount of training in preparation for a specific job. Students can earn a certificate by taking courses at a community college or technical school. Most certificate programs prepare people for technical or skill based jobs through certificate programs.

Local Community Colleges have trade jobs, short and long term training that provide essential services that people will always need. Mineral Area College, St. Louis Community College and  Jefferson College all have trade courses that can help students achieve better skills and achieve a job later in life. 

Mr. Fulton, a PHS industrial arts teacher, believes that trade jobs are great jobs if students do not plan on college. He said, “Trade jobs are always in need and we always want them so if you plan on going to the workforce after high school I would consider a trade.” 

MAC is one of only nine Missouri technical and community colleges participating in MoAMP. The Missouri Apprenticeships in Manufacturing Program. They have classes like Automation and Systems, Logistics and Production and Maintenance. MAC also covers other fields like Health, Electrical, Wielding, Law Enforcement and more.  

One of the most deciding factors when people go to college is how much debt they will acquire by the end of their degree even community college has tuition students have to pay but if you are a Potosi High School Student you may qualify for Pell grants and the A+ program. 

Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor’s, graduate, or professional degree. A Pell Grant unlike a loan does not have to be repaid. To apply for a grant  students can submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA form. Schools use the information on the FAFSA form to determine your eligibility for a Pell Grant.

Graduate from an A+ designated high school with an overall unweighted grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale, have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12, and  perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring.

Students interested in more information about the MAC trade programs contact Mr. Bouse.