The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Celebrating the reason for the season through Vespers

Wednesday, Dec. 6, at 7pm, The Ministerial Alliance hosted Vespers at the PHS gym.

The last two Tuesday nights at 6pm, people from the community have gathered at Potosi First Assembly of God Church to create a community choir, and practice singing Christmas carols to perform at vespers.

The Christmas carols performed were, Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angel Sing, Go Tell It on the Mountain, Oh Holy Night, Silent Night, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

Secretary of The Ministerial Alliance Mandy Robinson opened up the event by greeting everyone and saying a word of prayer.

Then, members of the community choir: Lillian Greenlee, Bayleigh Hayes, and Trinity Lawson sang Mary, Did You Know? as the other choir members walked onto the stage with lit candles.

The community choir performed Christmas carols, and an active member in the community, Kim Greenlee, read off the Christmas story of Jesus’ birth in between each song as students from different churches walked in to create a live nativity. 

President of The Ministerial Alliance, Pastor Lloyd Peirce thanked everyone for coming and supporting Vespers, then he said a closing prayer. An active member in the community, Pastor Gary Greenlee said, “It’s a night for the community to come together and sing and enjoy the Christmas songs we all love and know. It’s also a time to sing those Christmas songs and watch the Nativity come to life. It’s an honor to keep the tradition of Vespers going and to work with other churches, from the band, to the choir, to the Nativity to make it all happen. We are blessed as a body of believers from all the different churches in our community to keep Jesus the reason for the season.”

The people still keeping Vespers alive are passionate about sharing and celebrating the story of Jesus’ birth. For a few years it wasn’t as big as it used to be, but this year there were several more people to come, and several churches were represented. There were about 30 people who sang in the community choir this year. 

President of The Ministerial Alliance, Pastor Lloyd Peirce said, “It is such a blessing for Potosi to have Vespers. It has been sponsored by The Ministerial Alliance for over 60 years. I am happy we get to continue the tradition of hosting Vespers. Thank you to everyone that continues to support Vespers, and thank you to all the choir members that made it possible this year.” 

Our community is so blessed to have people that still want to celebrate the reason for the season, and that still care about keeping Vespers alive.