The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Mrs. Hill pushes students to show patriotism

Carly Saunders veteran sculpture and potted plant.

In the art classes, PHS students drew grid-mapped veteran portraits. Mrs. Hill also teaches ceramics where students tackle the task of patriotic sculptures. 

Pictures and inspiration for this project came from the PHS student body and staff. Students Jaiden McDonough and Alex Long chose to represent their family members and future decisions. Artwork will be displayed until November so visiting veterans can view it during Potosi High School’s annual Veterans Day assembly. 

After making this piece Jaiden said, “Taking the time to recreate such an emotional drawing made me appreciate the sacrifice more.” For this project Jaiden chose to draw her dad, Randy. He feels honored and has already started bragging. 

Other students like Chris Moore and Alex Horn made sculptures. Both teenagers plan a future in protecting our nation. Chris said, “The assignment made me feel more connected to my purpose, and I think it’d be nice to be remembered or honored in the way we are doing today.” 

Overall the project has impacted so many and really helped to bring awareness, talent, and dedication to the cause and the sacrifice so many great heroes have made.