The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Landon Sprous: Track Season Success

Between sports, academics, fine arts, and more, Potosi High School has never failed to produce students who choose to rise above. Today, there are plenty of excellent examples walking through the hallways at PHS. One of those individuals that may catch your eye is Landon Sprous. Landon is a PHS senior who is known to be exceptional in playing both tight end and corner in football and being a state-qualifying wrestler. Currently, Landon is excelling in running for the track and field team. 

While it’s no secret that his athletic abilities are present in both football and wrestling, his most recent feats for the spring season of sports are not to be disregarded. Currently, Landon is ranked third in the Missouri Class four 110 meter hurdles with a blistering time of 15.21 seconds, but even more impressively, he has beaten the Potosi High School 300-meter hurdle record with a time of 40.19 Landon has been running for over six years for Potosi starting in middle school all the way through to his present senior year. He was in class three up until this track season and has now moved up to class four due to PHS’s increase in the number of its student body. Class four is known well to be incredibly difficult to compete in because of larger schools having many opportunities to seek talent; however, Landon has continued to not only keep working but is absolutely blowing it out of the water.

When asked his thoughts on hurdle rankings in the state of Missouri for class four, Landon responded that he wants to be humble and not let it get to his head too much. He wants to keep working hard and continue to be better. He held the same attitude toward his incredible accomplishment of breaking the 300m hurdles school record. “I don’t want to just be satisfied with where I’m at because I know I’m going to get faster as the season goes on.” said the hurdler.

Landon is not only a hurdler but a sprinter who contributes tremendously to the team’s scores every meet. He commonly participates in the 4×400 meter relay and other short distances such as the 100-meter and 200-meter. He has earned all-conference all-district and is a state qualifier for both the 110 and 300-meter hurdles for three years in a row. He is also part of a two-time all-conference and all-district 4×400-meter relay team. Senior track athlete Luke Brabham stated, “Landon has run with me for four years and is one of my best friends. He runs the 4×4 with us and is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, runner on the team.” Landon has committed to the Division ll Quincy University in Illinois and plans to continue his track and field career after graduating from PHS.

The Potosi track and field team has two regular season meets left, followed by the district, sectionals, and state competitions. Landon’s achievements thus far are highly impressive, and he is sure to keep turning heads as the season winds to a close. The rest of the season looks promising for the extraordinary hurdler as he strives to stay on top and push past his limits.