The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Mr. Kester to be inducted into Potosi Trojan Hall of Fame

In honor of his outstanding achievements as a staff member at PHS, Mr. Kester will be inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame on Friday, Jan. 19.

Mr. Kester has had quite an impact during his 29 years at PHS so far. His impressive resume includes teaching in and chairing the social studies department, sponsoring multiple clubs and organizations, managing the football concession stand, coaching Scholar Bowl, 2023 Veterans of Foreign Wars Missouri High School Teacher of the Year, Missouri State Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Outstanding Teacher of American History, and most recently, the 2024 Missouri Teacher of the Year.

The Potosi High School Hall of Fame is used to honor past students and staff members. The Hall of Fame was originally exclusively for athletes, but years ago was changed to celebrate anyone. Generally, staff members must be retired to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, but this is a special occasion. Athletic Director McCoy said, “Mr. Kester is being inducted and being inducted this quickly for getting the Missouri State Teacher of the Year as well as that making him a national Teacher of the Year Finalist.”

Regarding his unique induction, Mr. Kester said, “It is an incredible honor considering that I didn’t go to school here. I didn’t grow up in this town, but the town has kind of adopted me and made me a member of the community and the school district is responsible for that.”

On Friday, Mr. Kester will be officially inducted during the homecoming ceremony between the JV and Varsity games at approximately 7:30 P.M. He is the sole inductee during the ceremony. To check out his Hall of Fame profile, you can view it on the screen by the library. You can view the profiles of everyone in Potosi’s Hall of Fame at the district website using this link.