The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Potosi community comes together for Mr. Hector

From Friday, Feb. 2 to Saturday, Feb. 3, Midwest Press Fitness held an event named “Rowing for a Cause” to help support PHS staff member Mr. Hector in his fight against cancer.

The goal for the event was to have the gym’s rowing machines going for 24 hours straight to help raise money for Mr. Hector’s treatments, which were completed on February 8, 2024. Many showed up to support the event. Some dropped in for just a brief moment to donate and row for a few minutes, while some stayed into the early hours of 2 a.m. bringing items like lawn chairs and air mattresses to make the prolonged gym session more comfortable. For entertainment, Spike-ball was set up in the gym along with lots of coffee to help everyone keep on working hard.

According to gym member and Mr. Hector’s daughter Molly Hector, the event made them feel very blessed as a family since they were helped by the community in such an impactful way. She said “It definitely showed that we are not in the fight alone.” 

By the end of the 24 hours, there was over $4,000 in donations including drop-in fees to support Mr. Hector and his family along with an overall distance of 305,052 meters on the rowing machines. Hector had even rowed himself and said that he learned from his own experience and the event by growing in his relationship with God and getting to see the good in people. 

Mr. Hector completed his treatments and rang the bell on February 8, 2024.