The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Small town reasons for big festivals

Small town reasons for big festivals

Potosi, Missouri puts on one of the best festivals around every June. This year falling on Friday June, 14th and Saturday June, 16th will be the festival in downtown Potosi. Friday it will last from 5:00 pm to 9:00pm, Saturday it will start at 11:00am and end when the vendors decide to leave. This festival is the celebration of Potosi founder, Moses Austin.

Potosi, Missouri dates back to 261 years ago. Here in Potosi our history starts with French Missionaries who mined in the area for 20 years before returning back to their home land, France in 1742. After some years passed, a word of how amazing our land was, was heard by a Connecticut Yankee by the name Moses Austin. Moses took the opportunity of an amazing area which led us here to where we stand today.

Soon after discovering Potosi, Moses moved his family to the area. Our area was plane with nothing, Moses built a big house, saw mill, flour mill, store, blacksmith shop, bridges, towers, and roads making the perfect town in their modern day. With all of Moses’ great buildings and ideas, Potosi became the first industry in Missouri.

Our town came far from Moses, and with that we celebrate the history of our amazing town every year. This year, 2024, marks the 35th annual Moses Austin Festival and the 261st anniversary of Potosi. 

Every June in Downton Potosi, the Missouri Washington County Chamber Of Conference holds the annual Moses Austin Festival.

The festival is a two day event with lots of vendors, food trucks, live music, cultural exhibits. The first day always starts on a Friday from 5:00pm to 9:00pm hosting the annual Billy Joe Boyer Memorial Car Show, along with vendors and food trucks and live music lining the streets of Downtown Potosi. Potosi has many cultural buildings in the area that are celebrated at the Moses Austin festival such as, the Long-Banta home which is holds a tour during both days of Moses Austin.

The second day of the festival starts at 11:00am opening the day with Potosi annual Moses Austin parade. The second day of the festival is an all day event with vendors, food trucks, drink vendors, tours, live music, and sweet treats all day until everyone decides to pack up.

Potosi is an amazing small town with a big history. Our community is awesome with some cool local vendors and even from some surrounding counties. This year’s festival will be held Friday June 14 and Saturday June 15. To reserve a spot to set up your own vendor, you can contact Belgrade State Bank, The Independent Journal, or Washington County Chamber Of Conference.