The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Career Mountain is inspiring students

On Thursday October 29, PHS hosted career mountain in the gym. The event hosted over 80 presenters for students to talk to and learn about.

With over 80 presenters, students had to map out a course of who they wanted to talk to in only an hour. The presents were from colleges, local businesses, natural resource agriculture, arts and communication, health services, industrial and engineering technology, human services, and military.

Some of the tables was colleges such as MAC, MO Baptist University, UMSL, and more. For human services there was Vitty and Co. Salon, the YMCA, the Handicap Center and more. For industrial and engineering there was commercial flooring, Purcell Tires, UNITEC, and more.

For health services there was Pharmax, Great mines, SEMO mental health center, and more. For arts and communication there was UMSL art teacher Jen Fisher, The King team, Sonder Studios and more. For business and technology there was City of Potosi representative Angie King, MO Farm Bureau, Walmart hiring manager Tina Chapman, and more. 

The college ambassadors helped with greeting and guiding the guests to the gym to help them set up. College ambassadors also helped with giving the guest speakers snacks and lunch throughout the day.

PHS teacher, Mr. Kester had a table set up to talk about teaching this year to talk to students about teaching. Many students came to his table to learn more about the process of teaching and how to become a teacher.

PHS Senior Allysah Gilliam said, “I thought it was very helpful, it gave the students a break and a lot of possibilities and options for college and jobs.” 

Each college had pamphlets on everything they offer for majors and scholarships. MACs Fine Arts Academy had papers for scholarships for musical and art students, along with a couple general scholarships. 

“The fine arts program at MAC is amazing. The choir at MAC is what I was in, and it helped me get scholarships,” MAC Fine Arts Academy representative Jason Carr said.

With Career Mountain offering over 80 guests for students to talk to, many talked to almost every guest there as they filled out their hexagon slip. If the students filled out their hexagon slip and turned it into the dropbox, they had a chance of winning a prize.