The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

The PHS Jazz Band performs at SEMO

The PHS Jazz Band working with one of SEMO’s clinicians.

The PHS jazz band participated in SEMO’s 24th annual Clark Terry Jazz Festival on Saturday, February 3rd.  

The jazz band performed two songs for a panel of three judges.  After they finished their performance, one of SEMO’s very own instructors worked with the band on various techniques.  The band also got to sit through a masterclass hosted by an award-winning trombonist, Andre Hayward.

Junior Peyton Coleman said, “My favorite part was going and watching the masterclass and learning different ways to improvise solos and learning how to practice more instead of watching TikToks and rotting our brains.”

At this festival, judges award “Oustanding Musician” awards.  Junior Brayden White (Saxophone) and Senior Odie Jackson (Drumset) both received this award by being selected by one or more of the judges.

The jazz band has a few more events to perform at.  They have been asked to perform at a pasta fundraiser at the JEMS cafeteria.  They also get to go to the Fountain City Jazz Festival in Desoto on March 1.  Mr. Jackson is working with the students to prepare them for another successful trip.