The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

District Tournament Preview – Potosi Boys’ and Girls’ Varsity Basketball

The Potosi Trojans face off against district opponent, the Central Rebels, at MAC

Starting the week of Feb. 26, the district tournament kicks off for both the Trojans and Lady Trojans varsity basketball teams.

The girls are up first, with their tournament beginning on Monday, Feb. 26, at Central High School. The girls will compete for the girls’ Class 4, District 2 title. The girls are ranked 4th (6-18), and they will face off against the Herculaneum Black Cats (7-18). The girls are looking to win their first district title since 2015. 

Junior guard Lani Elders said, “Herculaneum was a tough game, and hopefully we can persevere like we did last game and hopefully we get the win against Herculaneum for the second time.”

The boys start later in the week, their first game being on Thursday, Feb. 29th, here in the PHS gym. The Trojans are also district champ hopefuls, looking to win their first title since the 2014-15 season. They are currently 19-6 and secured the first seed in the boys’ Class 4, District 2 tournament. They will face off against the winner of the game between Herculaneum (9-14) and Bayless (11-14). 

The Trojans lost two straight games coming off of their conference championship game but bounced back with a dominant 74-37 win against the Desoto Dragons on Thursday night. When asked about the upcoming district games, junior forward EJ Sanswgraw said, “I think we had a good game against DeSoto, and things are starting to click again. I think we’re going to be ready for these next few games.”

The district tournament is single-elimination format, meaning it’s “win or go home” for both teams’ season. If either team wins the district tournament, they move on to the sectional game against the winner of the Class 4, District 1 tournament.

Both teams have persevered through seasons full of unique challenges and are looking to make the city of Potosi proud in the coming week.