The Odyssey

The Student News Site of Potosi High School

• April 18Seniors! RSVP for Decision Day on April 29
  • April 18Anyone with info on where Mr. Kester went, please call 1-917-259-6364

The Odyssey

The Odyssey

Potosi Trojan volleyball team wins first at North County Invitational

The Potosi High School volleyball team played six games over eight hours overcoming challenges throughout the day at the North County Invitational Tournament on Saturday to secure first place. 

Despite being seeded fourth in the championship bracket, the Lady Trojans came out on top. They had no problem going up against Fort Zumwalt North winning in two sets with an impressive 25-19 and 25-17 score. 

Without their setter, junior Carsyn Yount, who was away at her sister’s wedding, the Lady Trojans were forced to work together and adapt. Freshman Adalyn Gibson was able to fill in and contribute to the Trojan’s victory. Gibson was able to step up and provide 25 assists in the championship game. 

In the first round of the championship bracket, the Potosi Trojans took on the Farmington Knights; a team they hadn’t beaten in at least six years. It came as a surprise to see them win against Farmington in only two sets with a score of 25-23 and 25-15. 

Senior Paige West led Potosi to victory with the last two kills of the game. Junior Ava Robart also put down an impressive five kills in only the second set. Freshman Eden Robart added six kills against Farmington. Potosi’s back row also contributed as freshman Macyn McCarthy had eight digs as well as Junior libero Tayler Rayfield contributed six digs to finally win against Farmington. 

“A big accomplishment we had was adjusting to a new setter since our setter was gone,” Rayfield said. “I expected to get at least second or third. I didn’t expect us to get first.”

McCarthy said, “Going into the tournament as a freshman was a little nerve racking. Once I get in the moment for the game I am most passionate about, all I care about is winning as a family with the girls I love most. The coaches and the players came together with enough heart and drive to be the best team we could be.”

The Potosi Trojans faced the Festus Tigers in the second game of the bracket. Even after losing to them in pool play, the Trojans pulled out a three set win against Festus in the semi-final round with a 25-22, 25-21, 25-20 score, losing only the close first set. 

Junior Layla Juliette put down a kill to put Potosi ahead and an ace from McCarthy ended the game with a win. 

The Lady Trojans proved that they are capable of the season ahead of them. They will face the Festus Tigers again at their next home game next Wednesday Sept. 20.